The art of the celebrity interview, with Sam Fragoso
We’ll send you a myFT Daily Digest email rounding up the latest FT Weekend podcast news every morning.
This week, Lilah compares notes on interviewing with podcaster Sam Fragoso. Sam's show Talk Easy features in-depth conversations with some of the biggest names in culture: from Cate Blanchett and Judd Apatow, to Noam Chomsky. He tells Lilah about his highlights and difficult moments, and they discuss what makes a great conversation. Then, we challenged listeners to submit boring topics for us to make interesting, and this week we take on the UK citizenship test. To become a British citizen, you have to pass a uniquely esoteric test about "British customs, traditions and laws". What do the questions suggest about what it means to be British? And should these tests exist at all?
Note: After this podcast was aired, Jonathan Majors was arrested for assault. His lawyer says he is "completely innocent".
Want to say hi? We love hearing from you. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re on Twitter @ftweekendpod, and Lilah is on Instagram and Twitter @lilahrap.
– Sam’s podcast, Talk Easy, is available to listen wherever you get your podcasts, and is on Instagram at Twitter @talkeasypod
– Sam and Lilah discuss conversations with Ke Huy Quan and Kara Swisher. Sam also recommends his conversations with Norman Lear and journalist Maria Ressa. Lilah recommends Sam's conversation with Lena Dunham: https://talkeasypod.com/lena-dunham/
– Professor Thom Brooks’ Ted Talk: ‘Should the British citizenship test be a barrier or a bridge?’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNHpyJPbXNI
– A guide to passing the citizenship test, by the FT’s Federica Cocco: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn9k29PWmMU
– The FT’s Alan Livsey on his experience of the test: ‘For Better or Worse, I’m British now’: https://on-ft-com.ezp.lib.cam.ac.uk/3JCRQtj
Our US edition of the FTWeekend Festival is back! Join Jamie Lee Curtis, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Alice Waters, your favourite FT writers and more on May 20 in Washington, DC, and online. Register now and save $20 off using promo code weekendpodcast at ft.com/festival-us
Special offers for Weekend listeners, from 50% off a digital subscription to a $1/£1/€1 trial are here: http://ft.com.ezp.lib.cam.ac.uk/weekendpodcast.
Original music by Metaphor Music. Mixing and sound design by Breen Turner and Sam Giovinco. Special shout out to producer Lulu Smyth.
Additional clips from Pushkin and the BBC’s Live at the Apollo.
Audiochangedto include an edit on 3/24/2023.
Read a transcript of this episode on FT.com